When it comes to the corporate clothing your employees wear, do you prefer to provide it yourself or give them a clothing allowance so you don't have to worry about choosing their attire? While each has their benefits, here are some pros and cons to giving your employees a clothing allowance.
Advantages of a Corporate Clothing Allowance
You may not have the time to delegate each item of clothing your employees wear, especially if you run a large corporation. By providing your employees with a clothing allowance, both you and the employee can benefit in the following ways:
- You will not have to take the time to choose the best clothing for each of your employees
- Your employees will have a little bit of freedom when it comes to deciding what they wear to work.
- A certain color or fabric may look better on their frame than another, and if everyone is wearing different types of corporate clothing, they don't have to wear something that isn't flattering.
- Employees don't have to worry about the cost of their clothing. A clothing allowance allows them to choose the type of clothing they need, whether it is pantyhose, socks, shoes, suits, or dress shirts.
Disadvantages of a Clothing Allowance
While there are several advantages to providing your employees with a corporate clothing allowance, there are quite a few disadvantages as well.
- Employees may fail to provides receipts as proof they used the allowance for clothing
- Clothing items that are not needed for use in the work place may be purchased and worn other places.
- Employees may not reserve certain items, like belts, shoes, and shirts for just the workplace. As a result, these clothing items may become worn from excess use.
- They may provide proof of a clothing purchase, but may sell the item and keep the extra cash for themselves.
- Certain employees may choose inappropriate clothing items, which may not reflect the professional attitude of your company.
- Employees may spend all of their allowance on one expensive item of clothing and may not be able to afford the rest of the clothing they need to work with your company.
The Bottom Line on Clothing Allowances
While clothing allowances can give your employees the freedom to choose the clothes they want to wear, you may not be happy with the results. Some workers may even take advantage of your kindness, especially if they already own professional attire.
Consider the advantages of using a clothes allowance and see if you can provide your employees with the same advantages when you supply corporate clothes. Many times, corporate wear can be altered and tailored to fit and hang well on many different types of body frames. You may want to provide other needed items besides the basic clothing, such as shirts and socks.
All in all, you may find it is better to provide your workers with the corporate clothing you wish for them to wear in order to avoid problems.