GAO’s new strategic plan will manual our efforts from 2022 to 2027, as we aid lawmakers oversee federal functions and tackle the most crucial national challenges experiencing govt and modern society as a total.
The prepare outlines 12 key trends—domestic and international—with substantial implications for the well-currently being of the American people today. Being familiar with these tendencies will be vital to guaranteeing the federal authorities is geared up for the long term.
This video provides a handful of examples of these trends, and the job they enjoy in our far more ahead-searching work.
The trends ended up produced with investigate and through consultations with our possess inside specialists as properly as industry experts inside and outdoors the federal government. Here’s a rapid rundown of the developments:
- World and domestic countrywide security threats—which involve increasing threats overseas and a rise in violent extremism tied to conspiracy theories and misinformation
- The federal government’s raising credit card debt, which makes a fiscal disaster a lot more very likely, with the will need to choose action sooner to keep away from additional drastic measures in the foreseeable future
- Strengthening the nation’s capacity to put together for catastrophic biological incidents—a want underscored by the COVID-19 pandemic—including making a additional resilient medical source chain
- Persistent racial and ethnic disparities in all facets of society like housing, training, wealth, overall health treatment, felony justice, and access to voting
- The declining general public financial commitment in science and technology R&D in our innovation-based international financial state
- Society’s escalating reliance on digital technological know-how with protection implications like cybercrime and the emergence of “deep fakes” and other varieties of media designed to deceive individuals
- Modifications to the U.S. workforce due to new technologies and the new capabilities they need, automation, and the enhance in remote work
- Possible economic and nationwide safety effects on the worldwide offer chain due to COVID-19 disruptions, the trade war between the U.S. and China, and shocks from world-wide crises
- The elevated use of on-line understanding and engineering in training, which is developing both alternatives and challenges for pupils, educators, and policymakers
- The gains and charges of evolving wellness technologies—for instance, synthetic intelligence can decrease the time and expenditures demanded to make a lot more powerful medications accessible, but also raises privacy fears
- Environmental safety–balancing the need to use normal resources critical to our economic system with an increasingly stressed environment and the need for sustainability
- The evolving space setting—space is more and more remaining utilized for nationwide protection, commercial, and human exploration reasons
For a lot more on these important traits, verify out the full pattern papers.